Thursday, May 6, 2010

Theme and Motif: Fate

My astrological sign is Virgo. Virgos are perfectionists and that definately holds true for me; I'm not a perfectionist in a way that everything has to be right. For me everything just needs to look neat and orderly; which, brings me to yet another trait that is correct: Virgos are very tidy. Also, they are very practical which is also another one of my personality traits. I tend to look at the true facts rather than be over dramatic about things and think it's the end of the world. My sign is supposedly smart which, yes, I do think I'm smart, but I don't think I'm SUPER smart. Strangely, there are many traits of a virgo that I do have. Virgos pay attention to detail, they're shy and modest, they are patient, they are reliable, and the list of qualities that are common for me could go on for awhile.


After realizing all the characteristics I have in common I believe that there could be possible relevance; however, it could just be a coincidence. Astrology is the same a stereotyping. At times it can turn out to be true but at other times it's the complete opposite. My feelings are mixed. I also believe that the person has most of the effect of "fate". If they get their daily horoscope and truly follow it than their actions will effect what happens in life; however, someone who doesn't follow it won't have such a defined path; they follow their own rules. In Act 3 once Mercutio dies Romeo states,"This day's black fate on more days doth depend."(3.1.124) One person's action has affected everyone's future. I don't call that "fate" because anyone can alter their future by simply changing their ways. Also, Romeo believes that death is better than banishment since he cannot be with Juliet; however, if he had given up he would truly be dead. His time to die wasn't then; his action fought off fate/death. He's given the chance to see Juliet and be with her; I consider that luck; it wasn't something that was going to happend for sure.Yes, one day the time will come when they do die and death is the ONLY true fate for them or anyone. The only thing that predicts our future is our actions, nothing is permanent and set in stone until it happens. The only true "fate" we have is death which is a constant theme throughout the play. Things are born into this world and once they are done, they die.

2 comments:

  1. I think is super interesting how both you and I had a lot of things we thought our astrological signs had in common with our own personalities. Also, I really liked your final paragraph discussing your opinion on fate in this novel. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a virgo, i think it's all hogwash.Although I agree on the smart thing.

    ReplyDelete