Monday, April 12, 2010

Extra Credit Blog: English Reflection

If I were to go back in time and watch myself in Honors English this year I think I would be blown away. When I chose this class I knew that it would be a challenge, but I never would have imagined just how much effort I've had to put into it. It isn't just about reading a book and taking a huge test on it. There are many hidden meanings throughout a story. It's like finding buried treasure: sometimes you find the gold(in this case understanding it and having that "ah hah!" moment) or sometimes you come to find nothing. Ah and the ongoing topic of motif. That was a hard concept to grasp but now picking up on a motif almost comes naturally; in fact, one of my close friends actually finds motifs while we're watching a movie. It'll be completely silent and all of a sudden I'll hear, "That could be a motif!" Also, acting is a big part of English this year from Great Expectation skits to reading The Importance of Being Earnest aloud in class. Reflecting back I realize that yes, English isn't my favorite subject in the entire universe, but it's never the same. It has also taught me many MANY things from something as simple as grammar to something that seems as pointless as diagramming sentences. English has definately brought out the motivation within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment